Physical Education develops the children’s knowledge, skills and understanding, so that they can perform with increasing competence and confidence in a range of physical activities. Physical Education promotes an understanding in children of their bodies in action and knowledge of the body systems. It involves thinking, selecting, applying and evaluating skills; it promotes positive attitudes towards a healthy lifestyle. Thus, we enable the children to make informed choices about physical activity throughout their lives.
Objectives in Physical Education are to:
- Enable children to develop and explore physical skills with increasing control and co-ordination.
- Encourage children to work and play with others in pairs and group situations.
- Develop the way in which children perform skills, and apply rules and conventions, for different activities.
- Show children how to improve the quality and control of their performance linked to assessment.
- Teach children to recognise how their body feels during exercise and explain the body functions taking place.
- Develop children’s enjoyment of physical activity through creativity and imagination.
- Include aspects of numeracy and literacy and foreign languages, weekly.
- Develop an understanding of how to succeed in a range of physical activities and how to evaluate their own success.
- Develop children’s skills in leadership through peer led activities in lessons and at lunchtime.
The following documents provide an overview of the Physical Education Curriculum at Thatto Heath Community Primary School.
National Curriculum - Physical Education
Physical Education Policy
Physical Education Curriculum Map
Thatto Heath Community Primary School
© 2020 Thatto Heath Community Primary School