In mathematics, we use the Collins Busy Ants Maths Scheme as a basis for teaching from Year 1 through to Year 6. The school’s long term, medium and short term planning is based on this scheme. Mathematics teaching across all year groups is therefore broken down into 12 units including; number, geometry, algebra, measurement, ratio and proportion and statistics. We also combine resources from a range of maths hubs and Nrich to teach reasoning and problem solving skills.
The Aims of Mathematics in our School are:-
Pupils should be able to:
1. Solve problems
2. Reason mathematically
3. Become fluent in the fundamentals of mathematics
In order to achieve these aims the school aims to:
- To promote enjoyment and enthusiasm for learning mathematics through practical activity, exploration and discussion through which all children gain some success.
- To develop mathematical understanding through systematic direct teaching of appropriate learning objectives linked to age and ability.
- To develop the ability to solve problems through decision making and reasoning within a range of contexts, working logically, systematically and accurately.
- To encourage the efficient use of mathematics as a tool in a wide range of activities within school and in everyday life. This is particularly facilitated through the development of cross-curricular themes and themed weeks within the curriculum.
- To encourage children to work systematically, independently and cooperatively.
- To develop in the children the ability to express themselves fluently, to talk about mathematics with assurance and using correct and appropriate vocabulary
The following documents provide an overview of the Mathematics Curriculum.
National Curriculum - Mathematics
Mathematics Curriculum Map
Thatto Heath Community Primary School
© 2020 Thatto Heath Community Primary School